When shopping for your engagement ring, you might have come across different diamond shapes including round, princess, emerald, pear, heart, cushion, oval, etc. Each of these diamond shapes has its own peculiarities. Hence, you have to choose a shape that suits you the best. But every shape may not be suitable for everyone. Therefore, we are listing the pros and cons of some popular diamond cuts. It will help you to decide whether to choose a round, princess or an emerald cut ring for your engagement.
Round brilliant is the most popular shape among all the diamond shapes. They have the maximum brilliance and sparkle which made them the favorite of a large number of people across the world. The following are some of the important pros and cons of round brilliant diamonds.
- They have the most brilliance and sparkle among all the diamond shapes.
- They have great versatility, as their improved luster provides compatibility with a wide range of metals, styles, and colors.
- They have smooth facets and are less prone to chipping.
- As they have great brilliance, it will be useful to hide the imperfections in the diamond to a great extent.
- They are very expensive.
- May look smaller than other diamond shapes of the same carat weight.
Princess cut diamonds have a rectangular outline and they look like an inverted pyramid. These diamonds also have a great brilliance and sparkle that is almost close to round diamonds. People love this shape for its ability to display the color of the stones. Other diamond shapes display colors from the center, however, princess diamonds emanate color from both the center and the corners.
- They have a good brilliance and sparkle almost similar to round diamonds.
- They offer a unique appearance when compared to the traditional look offered by round diamonds.
- This cut also suits colored diamonds too.
- They are less costly than round diamonds.
- These diamonds have sharp corners and they are more prone to chipping and damage.
- As they are rare, you may not be able to get a princess diamond in the required size and colors at a given time.
Emerald cut diamonds feature step cut. An emerald cut diamond ring will offer you a sophisticated and distinct look. People love these diamonds for their symmetry and glamour.
- An emerald cut ring will offer you a unique and trendy appearance.
- They have smooth surfaces and edges so you don’t have to worry about chipping.
- They are affordable
- They can express colors vividly
- The brilliance and sparkle of emerald diamonds are less when compared to some other diamond shapes, hence, they are less flashy.
Choosing a diamond shape for your engagement ring can be a confusing task. Therefore, knowing the benefits and drawbacks of different shapes will help you to choose a diamond that suits you the best. When selecting a diamond shape, you also have to consider different factors including your lifestyle and personality.